The Coffee Catcha is a new tool which helps reduce wastage of ground coffee. Not only does it save the home barista and café owners' money, it also eliminates mess and acts as a scraper to give a consistent dosage every time it's used.
It is quite simple really... The Coffee Catcha acts as a funnel to stop the ground coffee beans from falling over the edge of the portafilter. It is then used to scrape off the excess grind (as the barista would usually do with their finger or dosing tool). The Coffee Catcha is also quite simple; trials have shown that it only takes a couple of days for the barista to get used to using:
1. Place the Coffee Catcha on top of the portafilter (with your thumb pressing lightly on the handle to keep it in place).
2. Grind the coffee as you normally would (you can overflow the basket as the Catcha will stop the coffee from falling over the edge of the portafilter).
3. Take the portafilter up to the grind chamber as you normally would and place the hand that you usually use to scrape excess grind on top of the Catcha (or on the handle of the Catcha).
4. Use the same action you would normally use to scrape, only this time let the Catcha guide the excess grinds into the grind chamber.
5. Put down the Coffee Catcha and tamp as usual. You now have the perfect dosage and zero waste.
Note: Before starting, make sure the Coffee Catcha fits on the portafilter. If the handle of the Coffee Catcha is not touching the portafilter, bend it down so that it makes contact with the portafilter handle.
The Coffee Catcha 58mm fits most regular coffee machine portafilters including: La Marzocco, Synesso, Slayer, Nuova Simonelli, Victoria Arduino, Rocket, Vibiemme, Wega, San Remo, Breville (professional models), Astoria, Faema, La Cimbali, Orchestrale, Rancilio etc. (fits 57-58mm).